Sunday, September 20, 2009

Ruth, I

(I hope that you girls are still able to read this every once in awhile - I have no way to tell...)

I have been researching the book of Ruth all day, preparing for a Bible study I am going to lead on it tomorrow. We are going to explore what it means to become a woman of God, and one of our examples is Ruth. Ruth is my favorite love story of all times - it beats out Pride and Prejudice and Anne of Green Gables (mainly because this is a true story and it was orchestrated by God... haha). I have learned so much from the life of Ruth, though, and I can't wait till tomorrow when I discuss it and explore it with my group of sophomore girls.

I really recommend studying the book of Ruth. One of the themes is God's hidden hand of providence. Throughout the story, there are so many "coincidences," such as Ruth "just happening" to glean in Boaz's field and Boaz "just happening" to be a kinsman-redeemer... man. God is so good! His plan is so much higher than ours, and things that don't seem to really make sense in our lives can really be God at work!

If you want to study what Ruth has to teach you about becoming a woman of God, read Lady in Waiting by Jackie Kendall and Debby Jones. This book has changed so much of me, and I am about to start reading it again just because it always convicts me and brings me to a fuller understanding of God's plan for my life in the present, in singleness, and how I can grow in becoming like Him. Also, Jackie Kendall's follow-up book to Lady in Waiting is called A Man Worth Waiting For, and that's a good one to read concerning what a man of God should look like in your life.

Also, listen to the "Redeeming Ruth" sermon series by Mark Driscoll (of Mars Hill Church in Seattle). Not only is Mark Driscoll funny, but he has some real wisdom on relationships - and he parallels the story of Ruth to the Gospel, so you can learn a lot on so many different levels of life.

I will let you know what character qualities we come up with tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment