Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ostriches v. Storks

>I am taking a break from the Proverbs 31 "series" because I have been busy here in Fayetteville. I was looking through past things that I have written, though, and I thought I would share this one with you that I wrote back in high school. It's not necessarily my favorite thing that I have written, but I LOVE this concept, and it sort of goes along with my most recent facebook note "Daddy," which you should read if you haven't yet. Love you girls! I hope that you are encouraged by everything and that your first week of school goes well!<


Job 39:13-17

“The ostrich flaps her wings grandly,

but they are no match for the feathers of the stork.

She lays her eggs on top of the earth,

letting them be warmed in the dust.

She doesn’t worry that a foot might crush them

or a wild animal might destroy them.

She is harsh toward her young,

as if they were not her own.

She doesn’t care if they die.

For God has deprived her of wisdom.

He has given her no understanding."

 

According to Mr. Ken (my pastor), this passage should change your life. A little confused? I was too - until he explained.

 

If you research ostriches and storks, you see a considerable difference in their care for their eggs. An ostrich does not worry about her eggs or take care of them; she burys her head in the sand and that's that. Storks, on the other hand, are the ultimate caring birds. They protect their young and it is said that they would rather be consumed in a fire with their eggs than leave them there without protection. The Hebrew word for stork was "hessid" - the same word used to describe loyal love. Another example of "hessid" is found in Psalm 136, which repeatedly states in every verse "His love endures forever." That love - hessid - is the love God has for us. He does not put us on this earth then stick His head in the sand and let us fend for ourselves. He is like a stork, caring for us no matter what is going on.

 

Isaiah 43: 2-4

"I have called you by name; you are mine.

When you go through deep waters,

I will be with you.

When you go through rivers of difficulty,

you will not drown.

When you walk through the fire of oppression,

you will not be burned up;

the flames will not consume you.

For I am the Lord, your God,

the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.

I gave Egypt as a ransom for your freedom;

I gave Ethiopia[a] and Seba in your place.

Others were given in exchange for you.

I traded their lives for yours

because you are precious to me.

You are honored, and I love you."

 

You hear that? God loves you. That should change the way you view yourself, the perspective you choose to live by.

Now you can say that a stork changed your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment